- 1 cup Truly Grass Fed Ghee Clarified Butter, melted and more to grease pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or sub for gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature (or sub for non-dairy milk)
- Zest of 2 large oranges
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 4 tsp powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan with ghee and flour it. Set aside.
- Melt ghee in a microwave-safe bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add sugar and orange zest. Using your fingers, rub the zest into the sugar until it becomes a wet, sandy mixture and the zest is fragrant.
- Add eggs and whisk vigorously until fully incorporated and mixture is thick and smooth.
- Slowly add melted ghee while whisking continuously. Add almond extract, milk, and fresh orange juice. Mix well.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until incorporated, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake pan. Smooth batter into an even layer using an offset spatula or back of a spoon.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until top is a deep, golden color. You should be able to insert a toothpick in the middle and have it come out clean.
- Remove from oven but allow to cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Once fully cooled, dust top with powdered sugar. Option to serve with whipped cream and/or fresh berries.
Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 days, or refrigerated for up to 7 days.