- 3 lbs fresh fava beans, shelled (can also substitute in edamame)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 tbps Truly Grass Fed Unsalted Butter
- ½ tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp grated TGF Natural Aged Cheddar, grated
- 1 tbsp chopped tarragon
- Fill a large bowl with ice water. In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch the fava beans for 1 minute. Transfer to the ice water, drain, then peel them.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook over low heat until golden, about 2 minutes. Add the jalapeño and cook for 1 minute longer. Season with salt.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil until shimmering. Add the fava beans and cook over moderately high heat, without stirring, until blackened, about 1 minute. Transfer to a serving bowl and season with salt.
- Add the butter to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until it just starts to brown, about 30 seconds. Stir in the lemon juice and remove from the heat.
- Add the garlic-jalapeño mixture to the beans along with the cheese and tarragon and toss well to coat. Add additional grated natural aged cheddar cheese on top to taste. Can be served warm or made ahead and chilled.