This dish is beautiful, tasty, and so fragrant. The crust is green because of the parsley, which goes into the food processor with the flour and turns into a greenish, delicious powder. The filling is also flavorful, with an extra special texture from the caramelized onion. The acidity of the tomatoes, the freshness of the basil, and the saltiness of the cheese make this recipe perfect! This recipe goes really well as an appetizer, as a side dish, or even as a main dish.
- 1 and 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup of parsley leaves, well washed and drained
- 1 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp cold Truly Grass Fed Unsalted Butter, chilled and in small cubes
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp Truly Grass Fed Ghee Clarified Butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Porto or red wine
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 15 oz ripe tomatoes, of choice
- 4 oz Truly Grass Fed Natural Aged Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- For the crust, put flour and parsley in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until you get a greenish powder. Place it into a bowl, add the salt and butter and crumble it with the tip of your fingers.
- Add the yolk and work on the crust until you get a soft ball that unsticks of your hands (add 1 or 2 tbsp of iced water if it’s too dry, or a little bit of flour if it is too sticky).
- Wrap the dough in plastic film and take it to the fridge to chill for 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
- For the filling, melt the ghee in a medium saucepan; add the onion and 1 tsp of salt and stir. Cook it in medium heat for about 10 minutes, mixing once in a while, until the slices are soft. Add the wine, sugar, pepper and cook it for another 5 minutes, until the onion is golden and caramelized. Season again with salt and pepper and set aside in a bowl. Let it cool completely before assembling the crostata.
- Cut tomatoes in 1/4” slices and set them aside.
- Cut a rectangle of parchment paper (about 12”x14”). Take the dough off the fridge and place it in the center of the paper. With a rolling pin, open up a disk of about 12” in diameter and 1/8” thick.
- Place the onion in the center of the circle and spread it towards the edges, leaving a 2” rim outside. Spread the cheese and basil leaves over the onion layer, arrange the tomatoes on top in an overlapping pattern. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Fold the crust to the inside making a 2” in the border.
- Carefully transfer crostata with parchment paper to the baking tray. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and take them to the fridge for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 350Fº/180ºC (medium).
- Bake the crostata for about 35 to 40 minutes until you get a perfectly golden-brown crust on all sides. Let it cool for 10 minutes and transfer with care to a serving plate.
Keywords: Truly Grass Fed Ghee Clarified Butter, Truly Grass Fed Unsalted Butter, Truly Grass Fed Naturally Aged Cheddar