- 1 pre-baked pie crust
- 5 apples, peeled and sliced thin
- Lemon juice
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
INGREDIENTS FOR CHEDDAR PIE CRUST LATTICE (FOR TOP)
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed (spoon & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Truly Grass Fed Unsalted Butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/4 cup ice water, plus more as needed
- ½ cup freshly shredded Truly Grass Fed Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Make Cheddar Pie Crust
- Mix the flour, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl. Add the cubed butter on top.
- Using a pastry cutter, food processor, or two forks (pastry cutter is ideal), cut the butter into the dry ingredients until all flour is coated.
- Measure ¼ cup of water in a cup. Add ice. Stir it around. From that, measure 1/4 cup of water since the ice has melted a bit.
- Drizzle the cold water in, 2 Tablespoons (30ml) at a time, and stir after each addition. Stop adding water when the dough comes together easily and begins to form large clumps. The dough will feel moist and a little sticky, but not overly wet. Do not add any more water than you need to.
- Carefully fold in the shredded cheese. Work dough onto a floured surface and form in a ball then flatten to make a disk.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in fridge for 2 hours or more.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prick the premade pie crust on the bottom with a fork and place in oven for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a bowl, add filling sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl add apple slices and drizzle and toss with lemon juice.
- Pour sugars and seasonings on top of apples and toss. Pour apples inside pie crust.
- Remove cheddar pie crust from fridge.
- Roll out on a floured surface until ¼ inch thick.
- Cut into strips or lattice and place on top of pie. Cover the top with egg wash.
- Place your pie on the bottom rack of oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Then place on top rack for last 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with vanilla bean ice cream!
- Cuisine: dessert
Keywords: unsalted butter, sharp cheddar