- 1lb cavatappi pasta (can also use elbow macaroni)
- 8 tbsp (4oz) Truly Grass Fed Salted Butter, divided
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 6 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 blocks Truly Grass Fed Natural Sharp Cheddar, coarsely grated
- ⅓ block Truly Grass Fed Natural Aged Cheddar, finely grated
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper, plus more to taste
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, season generously with salt. Add the pasta and cook until just al dente, about 6 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp (1 oz) butter to a medium skillet set over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the breadcrumbs, stirring often until evenly coated and lightly golden brown; about 3 – 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or sauce pan, melt the remaining 6 tbsp (3 oz) butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth, continue to whisk frequently for 2 – 3 minutes, allowing the flour to cook down; color may turn more golden.
- Slowly add the milk in batches, whisking constantly until there are no lumps. Increase heat, bringing to a simmer (continue whisking to prevent burning). Simmer for 3 – 5 minutes, whisking regularly, allowing sauce to thicken.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in the cheeses until melted and smooth. Add salt and pepper, plus more to taste.
- Add the drained, cooked pasta, stirring until evenly coated. Alternatively, this can be done in a large mixing bowl if pan is too small.
- Transfer mac and cheese to a 9×13 baking dish and top with toasted breadcrumbs. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with fresh parsley.