- 6 tbsp Truly Grass Fed unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp honey
- 4 large slices of a good sourdough whole-wheat bread
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, roughly grated
- 2 oz of fontina cheese, roughly grated (or gouda)
- Salt and black pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter in a medium skillet. Add the sliced onion and a pinch of salt and stir. Cook it in medium heat for about 10 minutes, mixing once in a while, until the slices are soft. Stir in honey, season with pepper, and cook for another 5 minutes or until the onion is golden and caramelized. Transfer it to a bowl and set it aside (to save time, prepare 2 days in advance and keep refrigerated).
- Divide the bread slices in half to have 8 pieces.
- Heat 2 tbsp of butter in a large skillet and toast 4 bread pieces on both sides. Transfer them to a cutting board and proceed the same way with the remaining butter and bread pieces.
- To assemble, place ¼ of the caramelized onion over 4 slices, spread ¼ of the grated cheddar and ¼ of fontina on top, and cover with remaining toasts.
- Heat 2 tbsp butter into the same large skillet, arrange the sandwiches in a single layer and finish cooking over low heat until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.