This ham, cheese, and tomato rolls recipe is delicious, easy to make, and is a crowd-pleaser, mostly with kids. It’s perfect for quick meals and picnics. Replace ham for pepperoni, smoked turkey breast, or use just cheese.
- 1 packet active dry yeast (1/4oz /7g/ 2 ¼ tsp)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 3 cups bread flour, approximately
- 2 tbsp melted Truly Grass Fed Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp salt
- Flour to dust and butter to grease
- 1/2 cup tomato marinara sauce
- 16 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 oz g thinly sliced ham
- 18 basil leaves
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp
- Start preparing the dough 3 to 4 hours before serving. In a small bowl, combine yeast, sugar, lukewarm water, and 1/2 cup flour; let sit for about 15 minutes, until mixture is foamy. Mix in melted butter and salt, and then add flour, little by little, working the dough until it is smooth and does not stick to your hands.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let rest for 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- Grease a large baking sheet with butter.
- Dust work surface and dough – if too sticky – with flour. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a 12x15in/30x40cm rectangle.
- Spread the tomato marinara sauce on the dough, leaving about ⅜ in border all around the edges. Cover with cheese and ham slices and place basil leaves on top.
- Roll it like a jelly roll and press firmly to seal. With a sharp knife, cut across roll making 12 rounds about 2in thick.
- Place the rolls into the prepared baking pan, with their cut sides facing up, and close together. Let them rise for 1 hour.
- Fifteen minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC/high. Put the pan into the oven and bake for about 25 minutes, until risen and golden brown on all sides.
- Remove from the oven and immediately brush all top with butter. Let the rolls cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 1hour