- 14 oz pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and diced
- ½ cup water for the purée (or just a little bit more)
- 1 sachet rapid rise active yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup lukewarm water for the dough
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup Truly Grass Fed salted butter, melted and at room temperature
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tsp salt
- ¾ cups unpeeled pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 egg yolk to brush
- Vegetable oil to grease
- Place the pumpkin, water, and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat until they are very soft. Break pieces with a spatula, turn heat to high, and let them dry completely. Press pieces through a potato ricer to obtain a smooth purée. Measure 1 cup of the purée and leave the remaining purée for another recipe.
- With a fork, combine yeast, sugar, 1 cup flour, and lukewarm milk into the bowl of a stand mixer. Let it rest for 10 minutes until the mixture is foamy.
- Using the hook attachment, stir the pumpkin purée, thyme, melted butter, cheese, and salt into the starter mixture. Add 2 ½ cups flour and mix until it turns into a sticky dough. Little by little, incorporate the remaining flour and keep kneading for about 10 minutes, working the dough until it is smooth and no longer sticks to the bowl. Stir in the pumpkin seeds.
- Transfer the dough to a large bowl lightly greased with vegetable oil, cover with plastic film and let rest for about 2 hours, until doubled in size.
- Line a medium baking tray with parchment paper (8×11”).
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces and shape them into balls. Place them close together into a prepared pan, cover, and let rest for 1 hour, or until double in size.
- Fifteen minutes before baking, heat the oven to 350ºF/medium/180ºC.
- Brush rolls with egg yolk and bake for 25 minutes, until risen and golden brown.
- Remove rolls from the oven, let them cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes, and serve.