This potato and leek gratin is a very cozy dish, amazing as a main or side dish; it is also a great vegetarian option. Made with our Truly Grass Fed Salted Butter, it is packed with yummy flavors and a meal which is sure to have everyone asking for more.
- 3 tbsp Truly Grass Fed salted butter in cubes
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed and without dark leaves and the root ends, thinly sliced
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1.3 lb potatoes
- 4 oz shredded sharp cheddar
- Salt and nutmeg to taste
- Butter to grease
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter in a medium saucepan. Add leeks, a pinch of salt, and stir to coat.
- Using low heat, cook for about 10 minutes, stirring once in a while, until tender. Turn off the heat, add milk, heavy cream, nutmeg, and salt to taste, and let infuse for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 320ºF/160ºC (medium-low).
- Grease a medium-sized baking dish (about 8”) with butter and set aside.
- Peel the potatoes and thinly slice them, about 1/8”.
- Assemble the gratin in the baking dish making layers, starting with 1/3 of the cream with leeks, 1/3 of the potatoes on top, butter in cubes, and 1/3 of the cheese, and repeat until you have used up everything.
- Cover with aluminum foil and take it to the oven for about 1 hour or until the potatoes are very tender (start testing after 45 minutes). Take off the foil and let it golden for about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.