The flavor and aroma of this dish are much better when the ribs cook until golden brown. Slow cooking is essential for this recipe!
- 2 ½ lb cubed and deboned short ribs or any other good cut for stewing
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp Truly Grass Fed ghee butter
- 3 oz pancetta or bacon, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 4 celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp sugar, approximately
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 can tomatoes pelatti
- 1 bouquet garni (1 bay leaf and some celery leaves and parsley and basil sprigs)
- 8 oz pappardelle pasta
- salt and black pepper
- Season beef cubes with salt and pepper and dust them with flour.
- Heat oven to 25ºF (160ºC/ low / Gas 3).
- Heat 2 tbsp of Truly Grass Fed ghee butter in a large size dutch oven and sear meat on all sides until they get golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
- In the pan, heat the remaining ghee and pancetta until wilt. Stir in the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Let them wilt and, when fragrant, add sugar and stir until brown. Add wine, scrape the bottom with a spatula and boil for 2 minutes.
- Return meat to the pan, add the tomatoes and bouquet, salt, and pepper. If needed, add enough water to cover the meat by about 1”.
- When it boils, cover the pot and place it in the oven for about 3 hours. Stir every 30 minutes or until meat is very tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the bouquet garni. Add half of the cheese and adjust salt and pepper. Cover and set aside while preparing the pasta.
- Cook the pasta al dente in a large stockpot of salty water. Drain it, coat pasta with the ragout, and transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and serve immediately.