Crafted by Catherine Fulvio using Truly Grass Fed Ghee Clarified Butter and Aged Cheddar for St. Patrick’s Day
For the herb cheddar scones
- 200g / 7oz wholemeal flour
- 250g / 9 oz plain / all-purpose flour
- 100g / 3½ oz Truly Grass Fed Ghee Clarified Butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100g / 3½ oz grated Truly Grass Fed Natural Aged Cheddar cheese
- 225ml / 7½ fl oz milk
- Extra plain / all-purpose flour, to dust
- Egg wash, to glaze
For the chowder
- 1 tbsp Truly Grass Fed Ghee Clarified Butter
- 1 medium onion, diced finely
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 80g / 2¾ oz streaky bacon, diced finely
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 200ml / 6¾ fl oz white wine
- 700ml / 1½ pints fish stock or vegetable stock
- 200g / 7 oz potatoes, peeled and diced small
- ½ tsp paprika
- 280ml / 10 fl oz milk
- 200g / 7 oz raw prawns, deveined, shells removed
- 100g / 3½ oz smoked haddock, diced
- 200g / 7 oz salmon, diced
- Salt and white pepper
- 100ml / 3½ fl oz cream
- Chopped parsley, to garnish
- Lemon slices, to serve
For the scones
- Prepare the oven to 210°C / Fan 190°C / 375° F/ gas 7. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Place the plain and wholemeal flours in a bowl, add the Truly Grass Fed Ghee Clarified Butter and rub through with your fingers so that it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the salt, rosemary, chives, parsley and baking powder.
- Stir in the grated Truly Grass Fed Natural Aged Cheddar cheese.
- Pour in enough milk for form a medium-firm dough. Place on a floured surface and lightly roll with a rolling pin or pat out with your hands into a circle with a thickness of 2½ inch. Place on the baking tray and using a Aged knife divide into 8 triangle portions.
- Brush with egg wash and bake for 22 to 24 minutes or until well risen, cooked, and golden.
To prepare the soup
- Heat the Truly Grass Fed Ghee Clarified Butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the diced onion and sauté for 5 minutes until cooked but not brown.
- Add the bacon and cook until lightly crispy. Then add thyme sprigs, stir in the plain flour, mixing well before pouring in the white wine and fish stock or vegetable stock. Whisk the mixture at this stage to distribute the flour.
- Increase the heat and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add the diced potatoes, paprika and milk.
- Simmer for 8 minutes, check the seasoning, adding salt and white pepper.
- Add the smoked haddock and salmon and simmer on a low heat for 8 to 10 minutes until the fish is just cooked, then add in the prawns and cook through, this should take a further 3 minutes approximately.
- Stir in the cream and check the seasoning again.
- Ladle into soup bowls, garnish with chopped parsley and serve with lemon sliced and the warm cheesy scones with butter.
Keywords: Truly Grass Fed Ghee Clarified Butter, Truly Grass Fed Aged Cheddar, soup, scone