- 4 tablespoons Truly Grass Fed Unsalted Butter
- ¼ Cup vegetable oil
- ½ Cup water
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- ¼ Cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 oz Truly Grass Fed unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper or foil liners.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter with the vegetable oil and water over low heat.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour with the sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the melted butter mixture and beat with a handheld mixer at low speed until smooth. Add the egg and beat until mixed, then add the buttermilk and vanilla and beat until smooth, scraping the bottom and side of the bowl.
- Pour the batter into the lined muffin tins, filling them about half way to three fourths full.
- Bake the cupcakes in the center of the oven for about 25 minutes, until springy and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool slightly, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. Place the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla into the bowl of the stand mixer and, using the paddle, stir for about 3 minutes, just until creamy and combined. Add 1/3 of the powdered sugar, mix until fully incorporated, add another 1/3, mix a little beat more, then incorporate the last 1/3 and food coloring. If the weather is hot, refrigerate the cream cheese frosting for 15 minutes.
- Fill a piping back with the frosting to pipe onto cupcakes, or frost by hand.
- Add a touch of sprinkles and enjoy!