- 1 cup warm water
- 1 ½ tsp active dry yeast
- ½ tbsp honey
- ½ tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tbsp salt
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour or bread flour
- 2 tbsp minced onion
- ½ tbsp dried minced garlic
- ¼ cup Truly Grass Fed Aged Cheddar, shredded thin
- ¼ cup American cheddar cheese, shredded thin
- 1 egg
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, dissolve the honey, brown sugar and yeast in the warm water, and allow to sit for 5 minutes, until foamy.
- Add the salt, ½ of the minced onion and garlic and stir to combine.
- With the dough hook rotating, slowly add in the flour and cheese, and continue mixing until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, and cover with plastic wrap sprayed with oil. Allow to rest in a warm place until doubled in size, about an hour.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and divide into six balls.
- Press your finger through the middle of each ball until it goes all the way through, and then stretch the hole out to about 2 inches in diameter.
- Place the balls with holes in them on a baking sheet sprinkled with corn meal. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise again for about a half hour in a warm place.
- While rising for the second time, place a pot of water on the stove and heat to boiling.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Once the dough balls are done rising, place them into the pot of boiling water, one or two at a time (depending on the size of your pot), and boil each side for about one minute.
- Once boiled, place on paper towels to blot any excess water.
- Move to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg with a splash of cold water.
- Brush the egg wash onto each bagel on the parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with additional minced onion and extra cheese if desired.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Keywords: aged cheddar, bagel