- 2 lbs green beans, cleaned and trimmed
- 4 tbsp Truly Grass Fed Salted Butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 cup Truly Grass Fed Sharp Cheddar, shredded
Crispy Fried Shallot topping:
- 6 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup neutral oil (canola, vegetable, avocado)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Blanch green beans in a large pot of salted boiling water. Cook for 3-4 minutes until bright green and tender. Drain into a colander and rinse with cold water for a few minutes until no longer hot.
- Place green beans on a dish towel and pat dry. Transfer to a 9”x13” or large baking dish.
- Melt butter over medium high heat in a large saucepan.
- Whisk in flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, freshly ground black pepper, nutmeg, and Dijon mustard. Cook for a few minutes, mixing occasionally, until flour mixture turns deep brown and becomes fragrant.
- Gradually whisk in chicken stock. Once no clumps of flour remain, whisk in half and half. Bring to a simmer, whisking often, for about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and fold in 1 cup of shredded cheddar until fully incorporated.
- Pour mixture over green beans, gently tossing until evenly coated. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes until sauce starts to bubble and cheese on top has browned.
- While casserole bakes, prepare fried shallot topping. Place shallots in a medium saucepan and pour oil on top until they’re fully submerged.
- Cook over medium low heat for 25-30 minutes, stirring often with a fork or tongs until golden brown.
- Drain shallots into a strainer, then transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Allow shallots to cool for 5 minutes, then sprinkle over top of baked casserole.